Breakfast sandwiches are my weakness. They got me through college. Studying in a coffee shop, on my way to early shifts, something to give myself to look forward to on days like those. With that though, usually includes a hefty dose of *some* form of white bread, sodium, processed meat, and preserved ingredients. Not only that, but the convenience costs you – especially if you’re eating multiple a week. 😬I decided to make my own version. All the good stuff plus veggies. Customizable. Convenient. Quick. All the good things that should be included in breakfast. Plus higher protein from the egg whites, knowing where your meat came from, an option of whole grain or gluten free, AND picking whatever kind of cheese you want?! Heck yeah. 😀
You will need:
- 4 eggs + 4 egg whites, scrambled
- 1 dozen mini bagels of choice
- 2 cups of ANY veggies of choice (I used broccoli & bell peppers)
- 6 slices meat of choice (I used turkey) – opt out if vegetarian!
- 6 slices cheese of choice, cut in half (I used pepper jack)
- Saute veggies on medium heat in vegetable or canola oil until al dente texture.
- Add eggs, black pepper, and cook until done (about 5 mins).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Heat oven to 325.
- Cut bagels/bread in half.
- Fill bottom half with eggs – be generous.
- Add half a slice of meat of choice
- Add half a slice of cheese of choice.
- Add top of bagel and repeat until you’re through with them all.
- Place sammies on baking sheet and spray lightly with cooking oil.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until slightly toasty.
- Wrap in foil and place in freezer – good up until about 1 month.
>> TO REHEAT: place sammie on microwave-safe place and cover with a bowl. Microwave for about 1 minute – 1:30. Bring with you on the go!
** I recommend serving with 1 c. fruit + a large glass of water to start the day!