Healthy, happy, hearty breakfasts on-the-go are the best breakfasts in my humble, almost-nutritionist opinion. 😉 Starting the day off with whole grains helps your body keep a steady supply of energy throughout the morning, both eliminating that dreaded, nap-inducing sugar crash, and prevents a 10-am-lunchbox raid.
Let’s get started!
APPLE CINNAMON WHOLE GRAIN MUFFINS
*recipe is vegetarian and can be made dairy/gluten free*
- 1/2 c. melted coconut oil
- 1/4 c. brown sugar/coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c. greek yogurt (or plant-based yogurt of choice)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c. whole wheat flour
- 1 c. oats
- 1 finely diced apple of choice
- Combine first SIX ingredients (wet ingredients) in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine next SIX ingredients (dry ingredients).
- Slowly add dry mixture into wet mixture, combining thoroughly.
- Fold in diced apple lastly.
- Scoop into muffin tins lined with muffin liners and bake for 20-25 minutes at 375
*serving suggestions: top with nut butter for an easy extra protein, or eat with a hard boiled egg and and half an avocado packed together for a complete breakfast on the go!