Fill your morning with fiber, veggies, protein, and complex carbs that will keep you going until it’s time for lunch (or your mid-morning snack if you’re like me!). Americans have a funny misconception of eating sugary things such as cereals and pastries for breakfast, and I don’t know about you, but those things don’t fuel me very well.
This recipe is quick, full of nutrients, and will start your day off the right way! 😀
OH and guess what? I found a new way to make quesadillas – and it does not involve any oil! (and it’s quicker)!
*recipe is vegetarian*
Y O U W I L L N E E D:
- 1-2 eggs or 2-3 egg whites
- 1 whole wheat tortilla (or corn if you’re GF)
- 1/2 c. broccoli florets
- 1/4 c. shredded cheese of choice
- 1/4 c. corn
- 1-2 tbsp black beans
- 1/2 c. spinach, chopped
- 1/4-1/2 c. bell pepper, diced
P R O C E D U R E
- Place tortilla on a heat-safe plate and place in the broiler of the oven for 3-5 minutes.
- Take tortilla out of the broiler and flip it over. Add about half the cheese to the top.
- Return to the broiler for about 2-3 mins or until it turns a little brown!
- Sauté the broccoli & peppers with a little bit of olive oil.
- Add black pepper, garlic powder, and any other dried herbs of choice.
- Add eggs to your sautéed veggies. Scramble them up!
- Turn off the heat when the eggs are thoroughly cooked
- Spread a thin layer of hummus over over the inside of the quesadilla (optional)
- Add egg filling to the inside of the tortilla along with a layer of corn and black beans
- Fold the top of the tortilla over the filling – top with extra cheese!
- Use a pizza cutter to cut into triangles
- Serve with salsa if you wish!
Be creative and use whatever kind of veggies you prefer. You can swap black beans for pinto beans, add tomato and onion, or garnish with fresh cilantro! *and avocado is always good.