As we are well into the month of January, we are also in the midst of cold, flu, and stomach bug season. Beside these temporary, productivity-inhibiting ailments alone, we have to also deal with colder temperatures, less sunlight, and not much sun exposure to absorb vitamin D. Our immune systems are already working hard, and barely stand a chance against these pathogens in this season, so do your immune system a favor and give it a vitamin C boost!
This is one of my favorite smoothies because it is a hybrid between an Orange Julius and and an orange creamsicle, two REALLY refreshing things that are full of empty calories (including large amounts of fat and sugar) where mine is just as good, minus all that bad stuff. 🙂
I N G R E D I E N T S:
- 1 orange, peeled
- about 1/2 c. vanilla greek yogurt
- about 1/c c. ice
- 1/2-1 c. milk of choice (I used almond)
- 1-2 tsp honey at room temp (preference)
- splash of vanilla extract
- orange zest
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (optional)
Blend thoroughly, and enjoy!
Ps, did you know that one orange contains 97 mg of vitamin C which is 15 mg more than the recommended daily allowance for women (75), and 7 mg more than the RDA for men? (90)
Vitamin C is important for many processes throughout the body such as:
- aiding in the absorption of iron (important in carrying oxygen in the blood)
- helping to repair cells and form scar tissue
- a component in collagen, the body’s building block
- AND, it’s an antioxidant, which helps protect cells from DNA damage due to free radicals
So, there you have it. Vitamins, protein, hydration, immunity, and a healthy taste of summer in a glass!